Katong Park bathing pagar, Singapore's first public sea swimming enclosure. It was opened on 19 December 1931 by W Bartley, President of the Municipal Commissioners. At 50 yards (about 45 metres) in length, extending 100 feet (about 30 metres) into the sea, it had 40 dressing rooms (white block with ventilation grooves in centre of photo). The place was closed in the 1960s when the coast was reclaimed.
20050001019 - 0010
Viewing permitted. Commercial use and reproduction require written permission from copyright owner.
Tan Kok Kheng Collection, courtesy of National Archives of Singapore