The Cathay Building at Handy Road. Completed in 1939, it was the first skyscraper in Singapore, housing luxury flats and Singapore's first air-conditioned cinema. At beginning of WWII, the main building was rented out to the government and British Malaya Broadcasting Corporation, becoming the "brain centre" for the government. During Japanese Occupation, it was used to house the Japanese Broadcasting Department, Military Propaganda Department and Military Information Bureau.
19980005038 - 0040
Viewing permitted. Use and reproduction only with permission.
Roland Craske Collection, courtesy of National Archives of Singapore