Welcome to the Oral History Video Challenge! This is held in conjunction with the National Archives of Singapore’s (NAS) 50th anniversary.
Unearth audio stories from the NAS oral history collection and turn them into short videos that celebrate Singapore’s journey. The best 3 videos in each category will win attractive prizes of up to $2,500!
To participate, here’s what you need to do:
Step 1: Create Your Video
Listen and select any of the audio extracts from fifty (50) oral history interviewees here. There are four themes – The Arts, Japanese Occupation, Communities of Singapore, and Sports – to choose from.
You can only use the audio extracts provided here to produce your creative work(s).
Tip: A variety of audio clips could be used to add richness to your story.
Create a video which can take any form including (but not exclusive to):
The video should be in the following specifications:
- Theme: Social History of Singapore
- Resolution: 1920 x 1080 pixels
- Video bit rate: at least 50 Mbps
- Duration: 2-3 min
- Language: English
You are strongly encouraged to listen to the full interview and read the full transcripts of any chosen interviewees prior to using their audio extracts. This is to ensure that the extracts are used in their proper context. Participants can submit more than one entry for the Challenge.
Step 2: Submit Your Video
Participants should use the Online Entry Form on the challenge’s website to submit your entries. The following fields of the entry form must be filled up as part of the submission:
- Title of your video
- Objective(s) of your video
- Messages/values you wish to communicate through your story
- Names of the interviewees where the extract(s) are taken from
- Link to your video hosted on YouTube
Participants are required to follow the procedures below when submitting the entries:
- Upload your video to YouTube, following the creation of your own YouTube account if you do not already have one (Participants below the age of 18 must seek parental consent before signing up, if you are not taking part via your school)
- Set your video privacy to “Unlisted”
- When your video is uploaded, copy your video link for submission on your entry form
- Please ensure that your video link is working before pasting it onto your entry form
- On the entry form, paste your video link into the field marked “Link to video hosted on YouTube”
- Complete all the required information in the entry form and click on “SUBMIT”
- All video entries in this challenge will be acknowledged by email
Submission of entries for the Oral History Video Challenge closes on 27 Sep 2018 at 2359hrs.
Have questions about the Oral History video challenge? Click here to read about our frequently asked questions.
For full Terms & Conditions, click here.