About Archives Reading Room
The Archives Reading Room (ARR) is the primary physical space where researchers and members of the public seek access to archival records. Our duty officers address enquiries and attend to the research needs of the public, academics and government agencies. Researchers can request to view and reproduce copies of records subject to prior approval if this is required from transferring agencies and donors and in compliance with NAS’ terms. The ARR holds reference copies of records in microfilm and digital formats which include Straits Settlements Records, private records, maps, building plans, cemetery, marriage and school records and records from overseas archives.
Temporary Closure and Relocation of the Archives Reading Room
National Archives of Singapore (including the ARR) will be closed for renovations from 30 September 2017 to end 2018. During this period, ARR services will continue to be provided at Level 11 of the National Library Building from 9 October 2017. For more information, please refer to the FAQs for Relocation of the ARR. For enquiries, please email email@example.com .
1. When will the Archives Reading Room (ARR) be closed?
The ARR will be closed between 30 September and 8 October 2017 for relocation.
2. Where will the Archives Reading Room (ARR) be moving to?
From 9 October, the ARR will open at its temporary premises in Level 11 of the Lee Kong Chian Reference Library in the National Library Building. The ARR will move back to the National Archives of Singapore in late 2018.
3. How do I get to the relocated Archives Reading Room (ARR)?
The address of the relocated ARR is:
Lee Kong Chian Reference Library
National Library Building
100 Victoria Street
Directions to the National Library building can be found here.
4. What are the operating hours of the relocated Archives Reading Room (ARR)?
The operating hours of the relocated ARR will be the same as that of the Lee Kong Chian Reference Library:
- 10am to 9pm daily, including Sundays and substituted public holidays (i.e. the Monday following a public holiday that falls on a Sunday)
- Closed on public holidays (except substituted public holidays).
However, full services (please see Question 5 below) will only be available during office hours:
- 10am to 6.30pm on weekdays
- 10am to 1pm on Saturdays
(not including public holidays and substituted public holidays)
5. What are the services provided at the relocated Archives Reading Room (ARR) during and after office hours?
Viewing of Records:
- During office hours, both restricted access and open access material will be available for viewing. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the records request form three working days in advance for us to advise on availability and the conditions governing access.
- After office hours, only open access material set aside by appointment will be available for viewing. Please contact us at email@example.com three working days before your visit to make an appointment.
Reproduction of Records
- Reproduction of open access records via the computer viewing stations and microfilm reader-printers are available at all times.
- For reproduction orders with quotation and order number emailed to you beforehand, please make payment during office hours.
Enquiries on burial and cemetery records
- Enquiries on burial or cemetery records are to be made at the ARR counter during office hours.
Searches for marriage records on or before 15 September 1961
- Searches for marriage records on or before 15 September 1961 can be requested. Please fill out this Request for Marriage Records form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Searches for school records to verify education details
- Searches for school records to verify education details based on records transferred to National Archives of Singapore can be requested. Please fill out this Verification of School Records form and email it to email@example.com.
- Collection of the verification of school records letter must be done during office hours.
6. What are the payment methods accepted at the relocated Archives Reading Room (ARR)?
Payment can be made via NETS or ez-Link onsite. Credit card payment is available upon request, but processing may take up to two weeks.
7. Can I reproduce records for research purposes? What are the charges for reproduction?
Reproduction of archival records is only allowed with express permission. Please seek assistance at the ARR counter.
Microfilm printing is available at the microform viewing room. Computer printing is available through the existing print release system at the Lee Kong Chian Reference Library. For open-access records, the reproduction charges are as follows:
- Microfilm printout (A4): $0.45
- Microfilm printout (A3): $0.75
- Computer printout (A4): $0.30
8. Are there admission fees for the relocated Archives Reading Room (ARR)? What are the admission procedures?
The ARR is open to the public free-of-charge for research purposes.
First time users have to register at the ARR counter upon arrival. Please bring your NRIC or passport for registration.
9. What kinds of facilities will be available at the relocated Archives Reading Room (ARR)?
The ARR will have computer viewing stations and a microfilm reader. Users may also use the National Library’s microfilm reader-printers and seats available on Level 11 of the Lee Kong Chian Reference Library to view open access material.
10. Is there facilitated access for the disabled at the relocated Archives Reading Room (ARR)?
Wheelchair access is available to the Lee Kong Chian Reference Library and the relocated ARR. A washroom for wheelchair users is also available.
11. Are photography and video recording allowed at the relocated Archives Reading Room (ARR)?
Photography and videography are only allowed with express permission. Please seek assistance at the ARR counter.
12. What materials am I allowed to bring into the relocated Archives Reading Room (ARR)? Are there locker facilities?
No food or drinks, including water bottles, are allowed to be brought into the ARR. Only pencils, paper and laptops can be brought into the ARR.
Bags must be kept in lockers, which are available at the Lee Kong Chian Reference Library.
13. Can I use my mobile phone at the relocated Archives Reading Room (ARR)?
Mobile phones must be switched to the silent mode in the ARR.
Please be considerate when using a mobile phone and step out of the Lee Kong Chian Reference Library when making or answering a call.